Videotome:ADV is a small narrative engine for making web based games that resemble 90s ADV games.
- background+foreground images
- music + sfx
- non-blocking choices! pick one or let the story continue!
- keyboard control (spacebar + numbers), dialogue autoplay
- variables & branching checks
- Conditional dialogue; branching is on the chapter level, not line
- Sprite movement
- Literally anything fancier than the above
I am a total beginner, is this engine for me?
Maybe. The syntax is simple, but there is minimal error handling, and single character errors will cause it to break. I recommend at least passing knowledge of how html/js works, if only to be able to debug your own games.
Why (make/use) this?
This engine was a hobby project. It is also designed to have a syntax that is fast to write and does not require things like wrapping dialogue in speech marks or special characters for every line. It offers a constrained feature set and visual display, unless you have the ability and desire to expand upon it.
It doesn't work for me, can you help?
Maybe. I have a day job so I am not offering guaranteed support for this free hobby project. Before commenting with any issues, please check:
- You are running the game after uploading to itchio / another site, or else via a server you run yourself. Just opening the index.html will not work.
- You have included ALL files in the zip of your project and have not changed the location of any of them within the file structure.
- You have followed the syntax and layout of the demo project.
- You have checked the developer console (press f12 in browser) and had a quick attempt to decode any error messages in the console.
- You have checked the readme.txt