really excited to make something with this…
Super Videotome is a small narrative engine for making web based visual novels, based on its predecessors Videotome and Videotome:ADV.
It overhauls the 3-text system for one that closer resembles what "Visual Novel" looks like in your head, albeit a simple one.
- layered canvas for background images, 2-frame animated foreground images, and text
- music + sfx
- non-blocking choices! pick one or let the story continue!
- keyboard control (spacebar + numbers), dialogue autoplay
- variables & branching checks
- Conditional dialogue; branching is on the chapter level, not line
- More complex animations or non-manually-defined animation frames
- Literally anything fancier than the above
I am a total beginner, is this engine for me?
Maybe. The syntax is fairly simple, but there is minimal error handling, and single character errors may cause it to break. I recommend at least passing knowledge of how html/js works, if only to be able to debug your own games.
Why (make/use) this?
This engine was a hobby project. It is also designed to have a syntax that is fast to write and does not require things like wrapping dialogue in speech marks or special characters for every line. It offers a (relatively) constrained feature set and visual display, unless you have the ability and desire to expand upon it.
It doesn't work for me, can you help?
Maybe. I have a day job so I am not offering guaranteed support for this free hobby project. Before commenting with any issues, please check:
- You are running the game after uploading to itchio / another site, or else via a server you run yourself. Just opening the index.html will not work.
- You have included ALL files in the zip of your project and have not changed the location of any of them within the file structure.
- You have followed the syntax and layout of the demo project.
- You have checked the developer console (press f12 in browser) and had a quick attempt to decode any error messages in the console.
- You have checked the readme.txt
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
OOOOOOOOOOO this...this looks very fun :3
we've been looking at Videotome:ADV for a minute now, made a story outline and even some early backgrounds and sprites for a later project we wanted to create with that...but now we're...very tempted to build it in Super instead :3 this looks really exciting. TYSM for releasing this!
Oh, you mad genius; I'm in.